We can't explain it. We get (happily) caught up in our own little world and the contentment of being home overpowers the fun factor of being sociable. I guess that's what you get when you merge the Martins with the Fosters, a happy, unsociable middle. :)
Anyway, as it turns out, the girl who could barely boil water as recent as our early marriage, has managed to master the art of a hip Thanksgiving hangout that seems to get better every year!
What does it take? Well, late September planning for starters. This week, I pulled out my past T-day menus and concocted a new menu out of the most successful recipes over the years, then added a couple new ones to spice it up a little, which I do every year! From this list, I itemize every ingredient to devise two separate lists: the perishable and non-perishable items. This list will now join me every time I hit the grocery store between now and the big day, precisely 9 weekends/trips to be exact. I will collect the non-perishables up until the last weekend, when the perishable items will get knocked out in one shot. Feeding 20+ people can be pretty expensive, so it's necessary to spread it out over time.
And this is one mammoth list for a mammoth menu. Maybe this will help to put it into perspective:
14 sticks of butter
11 cups of powered sugar
2 bags of flour
2 - 5lb. bags of sugar10lbs. of potatoes
10 pkgs. of cream cheese
1 1/2 dozen eggs
and it goes on, and on, and on...
Aside from the shopping, having that many people in our house in one day can be a lot to handle so the next several weekends will be dedicated to getting the house into a presentable, Martha Stewart style, level. I've already made a list of a couple of projects that I'd like to see completed by then. Of course, given the number of unfinished projects in our house (far exceeding the typical family's norm) I can't expect to have them all done, but it's good to set goals! Hahaha!
And we can't forget the playlist! I started an ongoing list about a month or two ago of songs and bands that would be perfect for that day. It's coming along nicely, I must say.
And the menu? Well, I could keep it to myself, but it's so good this year that I can't help but flaunt it! Aside from Pop's fried turkeys and Grammy's homemade stuffing, this is my plan:
For Grazing:
Veggie Tray w/ Dip (Cucumbers, Broccoli, Mushrooms, Carrots....)
My Classic Cheese Ball w/ Crackers
Bread Bowl w/ Dip & Dipping Oil
Spicy Cheese Ball (new)
Ugly Dip (new)
Dinner Sides:
Mashed Potatoes
Yams
Cranberry-Raspberry Sauce
Biscuits
Green Beans w/ Glazed Shallots in Lemon-Dill Butter
Desserts:
2 Pumpkin Pies
2 Apple Cakes w/ Browned Butter Frosting
Cranberry Mousse Torte
Banana-Ginger Cake w/ Cream Cheese Frosting (new)
Turtle Tart (new)
Divinity
Marshmallows (for Roasting on the Fire)
Beverages:
Holiday Punch
Hot Cranberry-Apple Cider (new)
Beer
No. I won't pull this off by myself! My mom will surely come by and help me get things together the day before. Last year I had a few teenagers meandering around the house, so I put them all to work, too. A decision that worked out beautifully, I might add! We actually had a pretty enjoyable time and I hope they'll come back this year! The plan? I pretty much kill myself the day before so on the big day I can enjoy myself. There's still lots to do that day, don't get me wrong! But the pressure is VERY low! I just arrange the buffet and put things in the oven as needed!
Just a million things to obsess about! But I'm just the girl for the job! And in the end, whether five people stop by or twenty-five, all that matters in the end is that I spend my favorite day of the year with my family... with lots of food to eat! Hehe!
Until later...
~n~


No comments:
Post a Comment